At long last I got the bearing bored out and installed. It feels
good! The discoloration on the end of the shaft is due to the
heat soak I gave the sleeve when I soldered it on. The sleeve
ended up fairly cylindrical, about a .002 inch variation in diameter
out at the end, nice and round further along.
Once that was done, I reassembled the tailstock- but had forgotten to
strip and paint the handwheel. Oops! The quill needs some
more polishing and the taper adjust bolts are mismatched.
I also installed the bottom half of the headstock;
Its starting to look like something! Maybe I'll get the spindle
in tonight. :)